Thanks for visiting. This page is primarily for sharing MIDI files and general information on the associated modules, software and standards.
I may also add misc retro gaming content from time to time.
Use the navigation menu on the left !
In the spirit of the 90's - this page is always under construction ;)
- Started work on a 3D Audio page!
- Added midi files to XG page
- Sort my massive MIDI collection and upload them (this is why the MIDI, GM, GS pages are so barren)
- Expand the Playback page further
Recommended MIDI Player(s)
- Please note you may need to install FreeMidi/OMS for playback to work with certain sound modules
- (I had to do this in order to install the Roland 8820 USB drivers)
Recommended Software Synths
If you don't have access to a hardware sound module/tone generator, another option is a software synth.
Yamaha S-YXG is abandonware:
By default, this software installs the 2MB wavetable files but you can make the driver load the 4MB wavetable files:
If you want to go back to the 2MB wavetable, modify to "waveset=0" and reboot for the change to take effect.
- Extract sxgbin41.tbl & sxgwave4.tbl from the 1403848.cab file included in the zip
- Copy these to the \windows\system\ folder
- Then edit \windows\sxgma.ini - add the "waveset=1" line below the [setup] section and save changes
- Now restart your Win9x/2000 system and play a MIDI file in any MIDI Player (try the included XGPlayer)
Things you may find useful...
- CoolSoft MIDIMapper
- Allows you to map/configure MIDI devices in modern Windows.
- XG MIDPLUG
- Embed and play XG MIDI files in html pages, for Win9x/MacOS 9 only!
- Rightmark Audio Analyzer 5.5
- Intended for testing the quality of analog and digital sound sections of any audio equipment, be it a sound card, portable audio player, consumer CD/DVD player, or a speaker system.
Best viewed with
Last updated: 2023/04/26
Click for the [
Random page ]
Want to join the ring? Click here for